Lent, Holy Week and Easter 2019
We invite you to the observance of a holy Lent, by self-examination and repentance; by prayer, fasting and self-denial; and by reading and meditating on God's holy Word.
(BCP, p. 269)
Lent at Grace Church
Wednesday, March 6
Services at Noon and 7 p.m.
Mark the beginning of Lent with Holy Eucharist and the imposition of ashes.
Lenten Quiet Day
Hungry for God: Beginning Again and Anew in Prayer
Saturday, March 9
8:30 a.m. - Noon
Enrich your relationship with God through this half-day retreat, led by the Rev. Virginia L. Bennett, D. Min. Come for coffee, juice and snacks at 8:30 a.m.; program begins at 9 a.m.
Lenten Labyrinth Journeys
Thursday, March 7, 14, 21, 28; April 4, 11
6 - 8 p.m.
Albright Parish Hall
Grace's beautiful indoor labyrinth is open each Thursday evening in Lent. Stop in to quiet your mind and spend time with God. Members of Grace's Labyrinth Committee will be on hand to help guide your journey.
Alternative Stations of the Cross
Chapel of the Apostles
Artist Gwyneth Leech offers us a contemporary experience of Stations of the Cross in this 2004 series commissioned by St. Paul's on the Green in Norwalk, CT. Leech uses the story of Jesus' suffering and death on the cross as a metaphor for suffering in today's frightening world of war, violence and terrorism. Copies of Leech's artwork are available to experience during church office hours. Parental discretion is advised.
Wednesdays in Lent
Lessons from Famous Faith Journeys
Wednesday evenings, March 13 - April 10
Sample the work of famous authors and explore how their stories help us experience the divine in our own lives. Come for one night or all five -- whatever fits into your schedule.
6 p.m. - Soup and Salad Dinner
Join us for a casual dinner in Albright Parish Hall. Please sign up on the bulletin board if you would like to provide soup, salad, bread or dessert for a week.
6:30 p.m. - Presentation and Discussion
- March 13: Graphic novelist John Hendrix will discuss his new book about Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Adults and teens are encouraged to meet this local author and illustrator.
- March 20: Mother Ginny takes a look at writer Malcolm Muggeridge and his views on mortality and hope.
- March 27: Mother Ginny addresses some tough questions about God and Jesus, and their place in contemporary faith through the lens of biblical scholar Marcus Borg.
- April 3: T.S. Eliot scholar and Grace member Lyn Ballard takes a look at Eliot's faith journey, particularly as seen through the eyes of his poetry and letters.
- April 10: Father Todd helps us dig into one of C.S. Lewis' greatest works and explore the impact of Mere Christianity.
7:45 p.m. - Prayer Service
We end each evening by thanking God for all our blessings.
Children & Youth
Sundays, 9:30 - 10:30 a.m.
Grace's Church School meets every week (except Easter Sunday) for students in preschool through high school.
The Sounds of Holy Week
Sunday, April 14
Church School teachers lead this fun, interactive lesson for elementary students on Palm Sunday. We begin outside with the Palm Procession and make our way downstairs for this special class.
Stations of the Cross for Children
Friday, April 19
Children are introduced to the story of Jesus' suffering and death on the cross with simple language and plenty of time for questions.
Easter Egg Hunt
Sunday, April 21
All ages are invited to have fun at this holiday tradition. Bring a basket and search for hidden treasure on Grace's lawn.
Holy Week and Easter Day at Grace Church
Sunday, April 14: Palm Sunday
- Holy Eucharist with Passion Reading at 8 & 10 a.m.
- The Sounds of Holy Week at 10 a.m. (for elementary students)
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, April 15, 16, 17
- Holy Eucharist at 9:30 a.m. in the Chapel of the Apostles
Thursday, April 18: Maundy Thursday
- Choral Eucharist with Foot Washing at 7 p.m.
- Overnight Prayer Vigil begins after worship in the Chapel of the Apostles
Friday, April 19: Good Friday
- Morning Prayer at 6:30 a.m. in the Chapel of the Apostles
- Stations of the Cross at 11:30 a.m.
- Good Friday Liturgy at Noon
- Stations of the Cross for Children at 4 p.m.
- Stations of the Cross at 7 p.m.
Saturday, April 20
- Holy Saturday Liturgy at 9:30 a.m.
- The Great Vigil of Easter at 7:30 p.m.
*please note: incense will be used in this service
Sunday, April 21: Easter Day
- Holy Eucharist with trumpet at 8 a.m.
- Choral Eucharist with brass at 10 a.m.
- Easter Egg Hunt at 11:15 a.m.
Tags: Announcements / Calendar / Children & Youth / Church School / Community Connections / Connect With Us / Five Marks of Mission / Grace Community Labyrinth / Music Ministries / News & Events / Sunday School / Worship / Latest Posts