- About Grace
Winter programs for seniors
On January 6, 2012
The Shepherd's Center of Webster/Kirkwood is offering several programs for seniors this winter. Programs are held at Harrison Avenue Missionary Baptist Church Annex at 355 South Harrison Avenue in Kirkwood.
Check out the following programs:
Enjoy Exercise and Much More with Senior Neighbors!
Spending time with friends can be just as important as exercise. Get both at the Shepherd's Center Winter session of “Adventures in Learning” being held each Friday morning from 8:30 – Noon, Jan. 6 – Feb. 24. Classes include Tai Chi, yoga and line dance. Topics of interest presented are Art history, Books/Travel, In the News, Discussion group is “My Life Journey” and Brown bag workshop at noon is about writing your life story. For more information, call 314-395-0988.
Help with Home Repairs
Do you have a minor home repair? If you are a senior in our area, call Shepherd's Center and one of our Handy Hands volunteers will come to your aid. They are trained to do those minor things such as change light bulbs, hang pictures, secure a grab bar and much more. Call us at 395-0988 to learn more.
Adventures in Learning – Harrison Avenue
January 17 through February 21, 2012
Adventures in Learning – Harrison Avenue is a program for older adults created in collaboration between the Shepherd’s Center of Webster-Kirkwood and Harrison Avenue Missionary Baptist Church. Join us Tuesday mornings at 9:00 for bagels and coffee followed by 3 hours of discussions, guest speakers and exercise just for older adults. $4 per Tuesday, breakfast included. Some of our upcoming guest speakers are:
- Change: Then and Now, Rev. Jeffery Croft, Harrison Avenue Missionary Baptist Church
- Market Queens: Black Women’s Entrepreneurship, Gwen Moore, Curator, Missouri History Museum
- Fraud Prevention for Seniors, Dave Docter, Kirkwood Police Department
- Fall Prevention and Improving Your Balance, Damaris Karanja, MA, University of Missouri Extension
- Heart Healthy Cooking Demonstration, Operation Food Search (recipes and samples included)
- Update on the Community for Understanding and Hope (CFUH), Ron Hodges, Chair, CFUH
- And Much More!
The Shepherd's Center of Webster/Kirkwood Inc. is an interfaith volunteer organization that provides programs and services for older adults. It is our goal to enable older adults to remain vital and independent through programs and services that promote positive aging.
Included in these programs are: Adventures in Learning, Shepherd's Travelers, Chores Galore, Transportation Ministry, Handy Hands and the Resource Center.